Sunday 21 September 2014

Review: Where Rainbows End (Love, Rosie) by Cecelia Ahern

Title: Where Rainbows End
Alternative title: Love, Rosie
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Series: n/a
Format: Paperback (paid for myself)
Rating: 5/5

Goodreads descriptionSince childhood, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But they're suddenly separated when Alex and his family move from Dublin to America. 

Their magical connection remains but can their friendship survive the years and miles?

Misunderstandings, circumstances and sheer bad luck have kept them apart – until now. But will they gamble everything – including their friendship – on true love? And what twists and surprises does fate have in store for them this time ... ?


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Favourite quotes: "Bethany wants a house in Martha's Vineyard. I've never met Martha and I don't know how she would feel about us moving onto her vineyard all of a sudden." 

"His name is Ted... He's overweight but then again so am I so who cares; we can bounce off each other."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My review: I picked up this book in anticipation of the upcoming film adaptation, Love, Rosie. Where Rainbows End is a love story of two characters, Rosie and Alex, who have been friends since they were children but events in both of their lives keep getting in the way of them bringing their relationship to the next level. The book is written in an epistolary format of letters, emails, instant messages etc. between Rosie, Alex and their friends and family. I usually avoid books written in this format like the plague but the trailer for the movie looked so funny and sweet so I was curious to give the book a go. When I first started reading it, I did find the format annoying me as instead of directly experiencing the events of the story, you only really hear about them after they've happened (for example an important birthday party is described by a character in a couple of lines rather than 'experienced' and depicted in detail). This really did annoy me at first as it felt like we might be missing out on important information about the story but once I settled into the format, I found it a very easy read.

I kept picking up and putting down the book to begin with as I was reading about four other books at the same time (I really must stop doing that!) but when I picked it up again recently at about 60 pages in, I found myself breezing through the story. All of the chapters merge into each other so well that I would pass through several chapters at once without realising I wasn't on the same chapter I began with. The characters were all so lovable and funny (at least the nice ones anyway!) so it was very easy to become immersed in their lives. I especially loved Rosie as even though she'd been through a lot of hardships, she kept picking herself back up again and carrying on with humour.

The only thing I'd change about this book is that I'd like the ending to be beefed out a little more but otherwise I think I can easily say that this is one of my favourite books that I've read so far in 2014! I'd definitely recommend this book if you're after an easy, light-hearted and funny read.


Book cover image from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...