Tuesday 24 February 2015

My Top Ten Bookish Heroines

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme by The Broke and the Bookish. To learn more about this meme click here and you can view their post on this week's theme here.

One of my favourite elements of any book from any genre is a confident, kickass female character, whether they be strong in the physical sense or badasses that won't take no for an answer! Here is my list of my top ten favourite heroines in no particular order:

Rose Hathaway from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Rose is like the ultimate badass. She doesn't let anyone walk over her and I love her for it.

Hermione Granger from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I've already had a peek at a few other bloggers's lists this week and Hermione is a very popular choice for obvious reasons! The sacrifices Hermione makes to keep her friends and family safe are incredibly admirable. I so loved reading about her as I grew up.

Tessa Gray from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
Tessa certainly doesn't have a great start in this series but she seems to go from strength to strength afterwards. I also have to make a special mention for Charlotte from this series as well. Cassandra Clare sure knows how to write her heroines!

Margaret Hale from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Margaret is so kind and caring and always stands up for what she believes is right, no matter how powerful the opposition is.

Penryn Young from Angelfall by Susan Ee
Even before the whole angel apocalypse situation, Penryn already had a lot on her plate but no matter what comes her way she just gets on and deals with what's in front of her.

Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
It's hard to find anything to dislike about Elizabeth. She's witty, confident in herself, kind and caring. And even though she makes mistakes she's not afraid to own up to them which I really respect her for.

Tessa from Blind Beauty by K.M. Peyton
Although Tessa starts out the book as a rude brat she completely transforms by the end to a strong, confident person and her character is one of the main reasons why I re-read this book at least one a year!

Nasuada from the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
I don't know if you can get more kickass than this woman. Leading the Varden, fighting battles, winning The Trial of the Long Knives...

Anne Elliot from Persuasion by Jane Austen
Anne is one of my all-time favourite characters because she strikes the perfect between being gentle and strong, proving you don't have to be just one of them!

Catelyn Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
I have a feeling I'll be the only one that chose Catelyn, haha! Although she could be a bit of annoying at times Catelyn always knew where her priorities lay which I couldn't help admiring her for.

Who would make your list?

Currently reading: Tsarina by J. Nelle Patrick
Currently drinking: Pomegranate Green Tea by Twinings

10 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with Hermione and Elizabeth! I haven't read any of the other books you've mentioned, but you've piqued my interest for The Inheritance Cycle and Persuasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eragon (from The Inheritance Cycle) and Persuasion are two of my favourite books! Hope you get a chance to read them :)

      Delete
  2. Hermione Granger is such a classic! Also, I love Catelyn Stark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hermione has been on many of the lists I've seen. I've only read the first book in the series, but she is definitely one of the smartest female characters that I've read.
    - Emma Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She was such a great role model growing up. Hope you get to the other HP books though soon, they are such magical stories!

      Delete
  4. I really like your list! Hermione and Penryn made it to my list as well. I also really like Rose Hathaway and Tessa Gray - I've only just read Clockwork Angel, but I love her. Can't say that I agree with Catelyn Stark's decisions in the series, but she is a very strong female character for sure.
    Following your blog now. ;)

    Bruna @ Bruna Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I definitely did want to shake Catelyn at points and be like WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!... Also, thanks so much for following! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. I love Penryn and Rose sooo much!!! I'm so glad that I found someone who has them on their list :)

    Here's my ttt: SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh definitely, me too! Rose in particular is like the most badass of the badasses haha :). I'll check out your TTT now!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...